Tuesday, July 29, 2008

update

So I realized that I've only made one blog post this whole month so I mean to remedy that issue today. I actually haven't done any programming since June 1st so there's really no excuse. No wait, there is, this is what my computer looks like:
That was after falling about 8 ft to it's demise on the hardwood floor. I was bringing it out of the attic (where I had been scanning pages) and the strap on the bag I was using broke (nevermind one strap was already broken and it was a stupid thing to do). Thankfully the inside of the computer still works and that is what I am using now until the new Dell arrives. My brother Jon was on vacation so I "borrowed" one of his flat screens. He got back yesterday and is probably now wondering where the heck it is.
So there's been alot going on in the last 2 months and a ton of pictures taken. The problem is that now that I've figured out how to make almost every picture look better in photoshop, I want to edit them all before I share them! And of course, I just don't have time to edit a few hundred pictures every few days. So I will try to not be so obsessive about it. And speaking of editing pictures, whoever says that jpeg is just as good as raw is wrong. And it's my opinion that it's not a matter of opinion (if that makes sense at all). The SOOC (straight out of the camera) shot is hardly noticable between jpeg and raw, that's true. However, if you find yourself in a low light situation, or some other situation where your exposure is not spot on, well then you can't do much about it if you're shooting in jpeg format. Raw, on the otherhand, has no loss of information from the original picture, and you can easily adjust the exposure in photoshop with no wierd looking, grainy pictures coming out of the deal. Here's an example.
Very dark jpeg picture:

Very bad looking after attempting to edit file (grainy & odd colors):


Very dark raw file (converted to jpeg):

Very good looking edited raw file (converted to jpeg AFTER editing):


Stay tuned for most posts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"whoever says that jpeg is just as good as raw is wrong." Wow, I would say these are fighting words... The wife getting militant... I personally am a fan of SOOC pics but then again, I am a lazy man…

Carrie said...

I try to just quickly edit them all in Photoshop so I can get them outta raw and transferred to jpeg form then later I pick some of my favs and edit them really good! KWIM!