Some more updates on Jamie:1. Jamie is doing very well in the potty training department. He can most always pee in the toilet as long as you remind him to go. I'm still waiting for the day when he goes by himself, although today he told me he had to go potty while we were in town. We're not quite there with #2. Sometimes he goes if he happens to need to right when you tell him to go potty. Other times he will wait until nap or bedtime when he has a diaper or pull-up on. But, it's getting better so I don't think it will be too long and we usually only go through 1 diaper and 1 pull-up each day, so it's a lot less money.
2. Just about the time when I think he's been such a good boy, he seems to become so rebellious and contrary. We're in this stage where he will say "no" to EVERY question whether he really means it or not. Then if it is something he wants, he'll quickly change his mind and then what am I to do? A few times I've been stern about keeping with his original answer. The problem is that oftentimes I ask him a question that's more rhetorical than anything like "do you want some milk?", because I already know he wants milk. So then I started to just do whatever it is, like just walk over with his milk but then he'll often go "no milk!", so I'll start to walk away and he'll go "want milk!". Enough to drive you crazy I tell you! We've been working on this, but it's hard to know in what direction to go.
Anyhow, I recently ordered a book called "Your 3 year old" because Jenn had loaned me her 2 year-old version (which I still have Jenn). The 2 year old one really helped me to just understand the 2 year-old mindset. It's not an instruction book on how to parent or how to discipline, it just about the psychology of a 2 (or 3) year old to help you understand where they're coming from better. For example, we found out that 2 year-olds hate change, which is probably why Jamie acted out more when we first moved to San Diego. I still have yet to read the 3 year-old one, so I should probably get it out because I am just not understanding my almost-3-year much at all these days.
11/25 (Jamie had just fallen off his chair and hit the wall and I was holding him on my lap)
me: "where did you get hurt?"
Jamie (bawling):" right dare!" (pointing to the wall)
12/3: "be you tay uptairs and cook stead." (maybe you stay upstairs and cook instead), after telling him I was going downstairs to exercise.
"cook right dare", pointing in the kitchen.
12/11
[me] "Go find some pants so you can come with me to the store."
[Jamie]"No, how-bout juss wear legs?"
12/11: "'top eating mom!", I was just finishing the leftover fruit from breakfast!
12/12: "I'm wuv chuggar (I love sugar)", as he's licking it off the counter and helping me make cookies.
12/13: Jamie is peeling a satsuma for him and Abby to share.
[Abby] "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (translated: give me some now!)
[Jamie] "Abby, I'm have to peel it"
3 comments:
I just want to make it perfectly clear that Jamie has not learned all the talk about staying in the kitchen/not eating stuff from me...
Also, I wanted to say that you do a great job sounding just like Jamie... Makes me laugh every time.
It's so sweet that your dad reads your blog. :)
I think Jamie must be my cousin some how, because I'm wuv chuggar too!
I'm so glad that book helped you! When I read your 1 year old, it was so refreshing to not get any how-to, but to still be told what was going on in Eve's little head. I need to get your 3 year old too...I feel so in the dark. ;)
Yay for potty training going well! Eve has been reverting a little lately, so we're back to the reminding stage, because she just waits now until it's totally urgent, and she can't make it to the potty in time. And after 3 nights of accidents, we're back in diapers at night...we had a good solid week of dry nights before that though...so I know we're getting closer.
Post a Comment