So up on the north shore there are several of these so-called shrimp trucks, named that because they are trucks that sell shrimp! Some trucks have different flavors but the original Giovanni's just has shrimp scampi - butter, garlic, lemon, and wine fried up hot and fresh to order. $12 gets you a monster plate of large shrimp with 2 scoops of white rice. I also got a tropical smoothie from another truck that was near this one. You can also find trucks that sell various other lunch-type items, including plate lunches, and most close up shop at sundown.

Chad eating away at the shrimp - you had to peel them yourself, which is why we had a whole plate of peels.

The original - and most recommended.

On our fourth day it poured down rain, and was actually quite cold. We went to one of the most scenic beaches on the island but it had not let up at all so we came back to Honolulu and went to the Bishop Museum, which is a
museum about
Hawaiian and
Polynesian life, culture, and history. Here we saw what hula dancing once was (grass skirts were added later for sex-appeal). We also learned
a lot about the formation of the islands and about the differences between
Hawaii and the other
Polynesian islands.

Abby and dad on the "lava" slide.

Abby riding the snail (maybe the snail was something that was brought to the island - I don't know, I didn't read that part). Although I did learn that pineapples are not native to
Hawaii.

On our fifth day I called the surf-report and learned that they were expecting 12-15 ft waves out on the north shore. Here is a picture I took of one that was probably about 12 feet, although it is hard to tell without a surfer in there. This was taken at the Pipeline, and we did get to see a few guys brave the waves.

In the surfing town of
HaleIwa, on the north shore, there is a famous shave-ice shop. I stopped in to get one to see what the fuss was all about. To tell you the truth, I thought it was way too sweet. But it was only a $1.50 and it will make a good scrapbook page - so
owell!
1 comment:
Babby sure seemed to like that snail...it seems that in every picture with good food...no Abby?!?!?!this seems suspicious
Post a Comment