Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Monkey Island (Feb 28th)

Today is March 11th, the 4th anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake. I thought I would blog about a recent trip that we made to Monkey Island, the place where we were returning from 4 years ago on the day of the earthquake.  This last time, thankfully, there were no earthquakes or tsunami warnings to run from.
We started out our trip with Chad taking the kids on a tour of the Japanese Navy ship at Mikasa park before boarding the little ferry.


Then we took the ferry with a friend and her daughter.

It was quite a beautiful day.

We ended up playing on the beach most of the day.  The kids and I collected beach glass and came home with almost a gallon size bag full!

Then we took a short hike to the other side of the island.

We got some great views of Tokyo Bay






Urban hiker strikes again

Then we returned on the last ferry boat of the day, if you miss it, you get to spend the night on the island!

Goodbye Monkey Island.
FYI: there are no monkeys on the island.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Ok so why is it called Monkey island? I am glad you took with Chad with you and decided to go back. I am surprised he didn't make you all spend the night and rough it.

The beach glass would make a cool decoration in your house. You going to bring it back?

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had a good day, reminds me of Sucia Island.

janet said...

Yes, I was going to say I only see 3 monkeys, 4 including the other one with you.

Unknown said...

Glad you had a better experience this time :). Looks like a pretty place. Do they make you rough it or is there a place to sleep?!

Anna said...

I suppose you could sleep in the bathroom. Or break into the restaurant.