Tuesday, January 11, 2011

some food and other things

Here are the "lame" mirrors at the 100 yen stores. I've spent about $50 at the 100 yen store in the last week trying to get things for the apartment (we only had 2 forks, 2 bowls, no cleaning supplies, etc). It's essentially just like a dollar store, which is nice when your only going to be living somewhere for a few months and can't really take anything home with you.


Here are a selection of drinks from a few of the many vending machines near our apartment building. I'm not so much a fan of Pepsi zero. I was surprised that Abby liked the hot lemonade. The cherry flavored juice-thing she liked as well. And of course Jamie loved the grape fanta.
Top ramen, ironically from the commissary (he needs to get used to noodles):
On our hiking trip last weekend (more on another post), we got snacks on the ferry ride. They have these waffle looking ice-cream treats that are essentially a waffle shaped cone filled with vanilla and sometimes another filling (in this case chocolate). These were so yummy! And not too sweet either, which was nice.
Here is the wrapper:
And some ritz cheese sandwiches (we haven't gotten too adventurous with our food choices yet). These were pretty much like the mini cheese-filled ritz crackers at home except I felt like the cracker part was a bit more greasy than normal:
Chad and Tristan had a seaweed and rice roll (boooorrrr-ing...):
Tristan seemed to like though:

Here is a sign I saw on the train, I think we need some of these "hey don't be an inconsiderate jerk" signs in states...

4 comments:

Carrie said...

At first I was wondering why the sign didn't show someone cutting someone off on the road but I guess making the old lady stand is good too.

5 ibarras said...

i love all the pictures and details you give! it paints a very real picture of life there...keep it up!

Uncle Jon said...

That all looks pretty interesting... what's hot lemonade?

Charlie said...

Actually on our buses we do have signs that say to let the elderly and disabled sit down first.