Saturday, February 12, 2011

Enoshima aquarium

From Kamakura, we took the small one-track Enoden line train to the Enoshima station.
On our walk, Chad picked up another questionable street-food item:
The aquarium was not cheap (about $60 for our family), but it was really nice. You can see the school of fish here and the rays and other various fish they had in their large tank. We also saw two lion fish (remember that on our snorkel tour Carrie?).
Jamie had a great time :)
Especially since he got to see these, which we have a book about back at home. Japanese spider crabs, which can get up to 6 ft long. These were probably about 3-4 ft?
more of the large tank:
Some cool jellyfish tanks.
Tristan got to see fish too!
We were all really excited to see the dolphin show, I mean who doesn't love a dolphin show? But when the show started it was not quite what we expected. Girls dressed in odd costumes, donning some sort of hoop-nets, did some weird dancing and singing to some interesting music. (Sorry for the poor pictures, it was all backlit as the sun was beginning to set behind the stage.)
Close-up of one of the girls/trainers.
The dolphins jumped to their dancing.
Then another girl came out in a giant gerbil ball that floated on the water, guided by a dolphin.
And they did some more dancing/singing/ridiculousness.
And dolphins performed a bit more.
Then at the end they disappeared and came back with no hoop-nets (symbolizing perhaps, freeing the dolphins from the nets???) and they danced while hundreds of bubbles were released into the area.
And then they jumped into the water and it was over and all the Japanese were very impressed. Chad had to remind me that we were in Japan and I had to hold it together to not laugh out loud at the whole thing. But the kids seemed to enjoy it so it was all good.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I would have been laughing my ass off. Too funny! At least you got to make fun of it here. Cool about the loin fish and the crabs.

Tish said...

We haven't been to that aquarium yet, but I've been wanting to go. Hopefully we can make a trip out there on our next visit (in 20 days, woo hoo). That is definitely a weird show. The shows at Sea Paradise are WAY more normal! You should head out there one of these weekends. They have three aquariums, an IMAX movie (if I remember correctly), shows, an amusement park of sorts and other fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could have kept a straight face, but then the kids probably got a real kick out of it-- at least it looks like something that would amuse mine!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Thanks for sharing this. If I look at the food picked up from street vendors...I do believe that I would find it very difficult to eat.