Saturday, January 10, 2009

2009 Happy New Year!



Well, I hadn't really thought I would be making "resolutions" but there have been some changes that have been in the works for awhile now, so what better time, right? And it seems as though the thing to do this year is to pick a "word" for the year. I've thought over this past week and also have tried to figure out how one word would fit with all my resolutions. So the word I've come up with is....(drumroll please)....SCHEDULED. Okay, so kinda boring right? Well, here's why: I was going to pick disciplined because I want to me more disciplined in my reading, and studying and praying. But then I was going to pick consistent because I want to be more consistent with all areas of my life from blogging to playing with my children. And I thought the only way I could incorporate those two ideas was to be scheduled. And lastly, I want to be more scheduled to keep me from idleness (spending countless hours on the internet), to keep me from being lazy (letting the children watch t.v. as I sleep every morning), and to keep me from being overly obsessive about my scrapbooking. Great, now you are all finding out what a terrible person I really am!

So here is the dictionary version:

sched⋅ule

[skej-ool, -ool, -oo-uhl; Brit. shed-yool, shej-ool] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, -uled, -ul⋅ing. –noun
1. a plan of procedure, usually written, for a proposed objective, esp. with reference to the sequence of and time allotted for each item or operation necessary to its completion: The schedule allows three weeks for this stage.
2. a series of things to be done or of events to occur at or during a particular time or period: He always has a full schedule.
3. a timetable.
4. a written or printed statement of details, often in classified or tabular form, esp. one forming an appendix or explanatory addition to another document.


So what am I doing about it? Well, I don't want to be so scheduled that every moment is planned, because when you have 2 small children, that is just impossible anyways, they will always through a wrench in your plans. But their are some guidelines that I'd like to stick to while here in San Diego:

1. Get up when the kids wake up and do my studying, Bible reading, and praying. Because improvement is not possible without God's help, I have to put this one first.
2. Check my email no more than 3 times per day: once in the morning, during naptime, and after the kids go to bed. This will keep me more focused on my tasks throughout the day if I am not constantly distracted by the computer.
3. Free time for scrapbooking or surfing the internet should be reserved for naptimes and after bedtime unless for a special occasion when Chad takes the kids to give me a break. This will give me more time to spend "with" the children. Yes, I'm home with them everyday but it hardly seems as if I ever actually play or do something with them. Actually, today they "helped" me scrapbook, so that was good, I got to enjoy my hobby and they were having fun doing crafts right next to me.

When I get home I hope to come up with a bit more of a schedule, so I can plan a craft day with the kids and a shopping day and a blogging day and things like that, but I'll worry about that when I get home.

4 comments:

Jenne said...

Hah! love the dictionary entry. I think those are great goals. I'll pray for your success in them, because it sounds like you struggle with the same things I do! :)

We miss you guys! Hope you're enjoying the nice southern weather!

Carrie said...

I like alot of your resolutions. I might implement them some myself cause I am feeling like I waste to much time being lazy and not paying enough attention to Sydney.

tanna said...

thanks for sharing a bit about "you". That is really neat to hear where God is stretching you; I will pray for your endeavors!

5 ibarras said...

anna, reading your goals and reflection about your "day" made me reflect too, and I'm grateful for your honesty. You've inspired me! Thank-you :)