Tuesday, July 17, 2007

big big booms

I never got a chance to blog about the 4th of july...so I will now. First of all, let me start off by telling you about the 3rd of july. I was originally scheduled to fly back from Seattle to San Diego with Jen and Jeremy, since they were going to be staying with us for the week. But on the way to the airport, Chad called and said our flight had been delayed an hour and a half pushing out take-off to 9:15 pm. We were almost to the airport, so when I got there I quickly changed my flight to the 7:00 pm one since it was only like 5:45pm. Well, Jen and Jeremy said they wanted to catch a bite to eat, so they were just going to stay on the later flight. Well, the flight was hard enough with the kids having hardly any naps but we landed in San Diego at 9:40 pm and had them in bed by 10:30 pm. Jen and Jeremy's plane had not even taken off yet. In fact, it did not take-off until 11:00 pm and after they got their rental car, they did not arrive at our house until 3:00 am. The moral of the story: if your flight is delayed an hour and a half, don't be surprised if it's delayed another hour and a half. I'm just so thankful I got on the earlier flight, I don't think we would've ever made it otherwise. But since Jen and Jeremy had come when the kids were asleep, Jamie had not seen Jen yet and certainly didn't expect her to be in his bedroom when he woke up. At first he was crying, I think because he had been used to sleeping at grandma's, but then when he saw Jen, he broke down even further and started sobbing. Jen came and got me and I calmed him down. Luckily, by the end of the trip, Jamie was happy to see her in the morning, and called it "Jenn-nay's (think Forest Gump) bed".
So....needless to say, everyone was tired on the 4th and we had all decided not to do anything. But at the last minute we decided to give it a try, and drove on base where Chad works to see the fireworks. We arrived about 10 minutes before they started, watched the 15-20 minute show (San Diego has at least 4 simultaneous shows, one was right in front of us), ran to the car after the finale, and managed to get home within about 20 minutes, escaping most of the traffic. Not too shabby. Jamie liked the "big, big booms", the "parkly (sparkly) ones", the "bue (blue) ones", etc. Abby was just kind of in a daze because she slept on the way there and then fell asleep on the way back!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Abby (picture my hand waving in front of her face) are you in there?